Friday, February 14, 2014

A Letter to Orson Scott Card

"Who's your favorite author?" asked my dad knowingly.

I didn't hesitate. "Orson Scott Card!"

"Knew it." He smiled. "Thought I might let you know that if you ever want to write a letter, I can almost guarantee you a genuine interaction with the guy."

My mouth dropped open. Like, a real reply? Like, not from his secretary? I wasn't expecting such a grand finale from our conversation about networking.

Everywhere I turn on the internet, writers are saying, "get connected! Grow your network!" And I think that is a very legitimate concept. Every friend you make is another person who you can help and who can help you - a sort of authorly symbiosis. 

Now, sitting on the edge of confidence, letter composed, I'm not so sure that my dad's connection will be enough to earn a thoughtful note. Nonetheless, I would love to fine-tune what I have so far:


Dear Mr. Card,
My name is Drew, and I am an aspiring teenage author who has long respected your books, Ender’s Game and Pathfinder. Both stand out to me as incredibly unique and inspiring stories. Given your talent and success, I felt you were the best person to approach with a couple questions I have about English class:
What do you think is the value in analyzing archaic literature, if anything?
What can be gained in conforming to a professor’s writing guidelines when you’d rather use your own stylistic structuring (again, if anything)?
 
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts!
Thank you for your time,
Drew
 
What do you think? Too short? Too many colors? Too anything?  
Ooh, how about this: what questions would you ask a prolific writer like Orson Scott Card?
My plan is to send this off after a few days on the blog and after my dad reviews it. So if you have anything to ask, speak up! :)

7 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so cool! :O I remember the first time I've had interactions with authors. Mind blowing. This is so neat that you could get an ACTUAL response from an author as famous as him!

    (If I may) I have a question. :) Mine would be: What is the hardest thing you've had to face as a writer, and how do you recommend dealing with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to see how I can work your question into the letter! :) And, just curious, what authors have you talked to?

      Delete
    2. A few. :) I met a bunch at the National Book Festival in D.C. in 2009 (I think that's the year), I met A.S. King in real life (and have interacted with her online), and I've spoken to a few/interviewed some for my blog, including Rainbow Rowell (on Twitter), Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson on "Go Teen Writers," Em Garner (my mom is friends with her in real life), Miriam Joy, Joe Bunting, Bryan Hutchinson, Martina Boone, and Marissa Meyer. :)

      Delete
    3. ........ whoa. That's a lot. I've spoken to Brandon Mull in the flesh and James Scott Bell online. And Michelle, from Random Writing Rants. That's it... haha.

      Delete
    4. You got to meet Brandon Mull?! :O So jealous . . . I LOVE Fablehaven!

      Delete
  2. Just saw Divergent is on your "to read" list. SUCH a great series! :) Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete